Want To See Your Grandchild That Your Child Neglects? Get A Lawyer

If you are a grandparent and your child hasn't taken responsibility for their child, you have rights and you can still get visitation rights. If the parent raising the child is hesitant to let you see the child or doesn't allow you to see the child as often as you would like, it's time to talk to a lawyer. 

You can go to the lawyer to see if you qualify for grandparent visitation, so you can connect with your grandchild. Here are a few things should be ready to prove to your lawyer. 

Proof of Relation

If you are dealing with the child of your son, has your child taken a paternity test to prove that he are the father of the child? Is his name on the birth certificate? If not, you will have to prove that you are the grandparent in order to get custody. If you are trying to get visitation of your daughter's child, it shouldn't be difficult to prove that you are the paternal grandparent of the child. 

A Safe Visitation Environment

If you can prove to a caseworker that you have a safe home that is secure for the child to visit, it shouldn't be a problem for you to have the child. You have to prove that the house is in a safe area, that there aren't people in the house that could potentially be dangerous, and that you have toys, games, and items to entertain and interact with the child, you can make a good impression with the courts. The first visits may have to be supervised until the child can become comfortable around you, so the child doesn't feel like they are being put in a strange place with a strange person. 

Honest Intentions 

You have to prove that you have honest intentions, and that you just want to be a part of the child's life. The court may require that you don't bring the grandchild around your child because they are behind on child support or for other reasons, and you have to prove that you want to see the child for your own interests. 

A lawyer will reach out to the parent that has custody of the child to see if they want to come to an agreement outside of court or without a judge. You may be able to negotiate something quickly. If not, you may have to take your case into a courtroom. 

For more information, contact a practice like Hurth Sisk & Blakemore LLP